Friday, July 9, 2010

Erin is Here!!

Sorry it's been so long since my last post! So much has happened (as always) so I don't know where to begin.

Your requests for my updates have made my day. When rambling on about my ridiculous life, I wonder "Is anybody even reading this?" So THANK YOU for reading and THANK YOU for being awesome. Missing all of my wonderful friends!

Erin got here a week ago, and we have been having a ball. Been enjoying taking her around to my favorite spots, as well as discovering new places. Some of our favorite things we have been doing around the city include:
--Window shopping
and regular shopping...we both bought a pair of awesome boots
--Sipping espresso
we order the doble when we are super tired, otherwise it's cafe con leche
--Tango music
I took her to Casa de Roberto, my favorite tango music bar. Also saw some impromptu tango dancing on the street
--Wandering and Pondering
Walking miles a day, dodging cars and dog doo, observing Argentine fashions, contemplating and learning about Argentine culture, touring through the different barrios. Erin is already acting like a local, and she is trying to learn some Spanish phrases which is absolutely hilarious.
--Eating. A LOT. A LOT.
Erin wanted some good Argentine steak, and boy did she get it. Never in my life have I eaten such delicious food. We have a policy where you say the key word (STEAK) to the other at any point during the day, and it will automatically make the other person happy, thinking back on all the great food we have had.
--Markets
Went to the artisan market by my house in Recoleta on Saturday, and on Sunday went to the San Telmo market, which are street vendors that stretch down the street for miles, selling all sorts of handcrafts).
--Futbol
Saw the Argentina/Germany game. I don't want to talk about it... As you know, I'm totally not a sports fanatic at all, but I have been so into the World Cup! After the U.S. was out, Argentina was my country (and let's be real, we knew the US wouldn't make it far.) I had been talking up the Argentina team to Erin and trying to explain the craze and energy of seeing a game here and the party at the Obelisk when they win. Boy was last week a downer for everyone. We watch the game with thousands of other people in a park, and I feared for my life what would happen - No matter the game's turnout, the town would probably be lit on fire. After Germany scored the third goal, people started leaving the park and couldn't bear to see the end of it. All over the city, no smiles were to be found, feet dragged, and heads were down. It was like everyone's dog died on the same day. I'm happy Germany lost, and will be cheering for Spain in the finals.
--Pretty Parks
My favorite spot is 3 de Febrero, the HUGE city park that is several times the size of Central Park. Today we rented petal boats and went around the lake, and walked through the Rose Gardens. We make quite the cute couple.
--Museums
--Churches
--Walking tours
--Fancy bars

We are having so much fun! It's so special to be able to show her my life here. And what the life I have!

Here are a few pictures of us in BA

In the 3 de Febrero Park, where we kicked up our feet by the lake and watched the sun set

 Getting ready to go out on the down, post- huge steak dinner

By a silly tango statue at Plaza Durrango, where the gigantic flea market is

As if BA isn't enough, we went on two side trips. We went to Iguazu Waterfalls (one of the wonders of the world!) and Colonia, Uruguay (a super cute old town, which we got to via ferry). Separate update to come on that one, but here's a teaser...




No comments:

Post a Comment