Saturday, July 10, 2010

So this one time, I went to Argentina, quit class, and decided to hike a mountain

In case I have not already told you, here's a little life update...

I have been taking Spanish class at the University of Buenos Aires language school, and signed up for two months. I started out in Advanced, where we tackled complicated grammatical structures and the SIX forms of the subjunctive (first thing I learned: there are six subjunctive tenses). Obviously, I've already graduated, so this whole experience is more for life enrichment than getting credits. In the classroom, I certainly learned much about Spanish formally, but where I have really been gaining my skill and confidence is outside the classroom - with Mecky, the cab drivers, waiters, vendors, and friends you make each night. With all this learning, I decided to opt out of classes for July and instead use the money for classes to go here:

MACHU PICCHU!

On Monday, I am leaving for a week-long adventure to Peru. We start in Cusco, do a train tour through the Sacred Valley, and then hike and camp for four days up Machu Picchu on the Lares Trek. I'm going with the travel company Intrepid (same Erin used to go to India), and will be in a group of about 15 other travelers. Can't believe I'm on the brink of accomplishing one of my big life ambitions: Machu Picchu!

Not having classes this month has also been great since Erin has been here, and has given me more time to really get to know the city. After Peru, I will be in BsAs for a few more days, and then homeward bound on July 21, a bit earlier than I originally anticipated. Looking forward to some Wichita summer, but questioning how it's going to be to return to reality, find a job and a place to life, and not be back to TU in the fall. The biggest thing this trip has taught me though: take each day as it comes, worry less, and have faith  more! 

Life is an adventure...Bring it on.

No comments:

Post a Comment