Sunday, June 13, 2010

Adventure Week in Mendoza

I really recommend vacationing on vacation.

Just four days into class at Centro Universitario de Idiomas, I had the opportunity to go on a week-long study/adventure trip to Mendoza through the university. Although I was hesitant to leave the city I just arrived in, I couldn’t pass up these bold letters on the trip flyer: RAPPELLING, HORSEBACK RIDING, BIKERIDES, WINE TOURS, COUNTRYSIDE, SPANISH. Sign me up!

Our chariot to wine country paradise awaited: the ANDESMAR overnight bus. The quirky bus attendant led us in a game of Bingo, followed by Spanish music videos, dinner, and movie time before we reclined our seats to awake in Mendoza.

And we awoke to paradise indeed. Quiet streets, fall leaves, the best food, jaw-dropping views of The Andes, our host mothers welcoming us with big hugs.

The first three days, we had intensive Spanish class, emphasis on intense. Just three other girls went on the trip, and fortunately we were all at the same Spanish level. We cuatro chicas americanas entertained our professor Sergio, who taught us some important Spanish phrases. Between class, restaurants, vendors, taxi cab drivers, and dinner with Rosa (our host mother), the Spanish wheels turned all day. I miss Rosa already. Dinners were often lost in translation, or not understood at all (“No entiendo tu voz,” she said to me at one point), but we managed to talk about the meaning of life, the usefulness and harm of technology, family, religion, and customs. No topic is taboo in this country.

One of the nights, Rosa had her whole family over for dinner. The situation would be chaos for me in my native tongue, let alone Spanish. Argentines shouting over each other, pouring wine, feasting on carne asada, recounting stories. A timid person by nature, and the awkward foreigner interjected into a family dinner, I sat back and listened while sawing through endless portions of meat that were continuously put on my plate (I’m pretty my pores are still seeping ham). One of the uncles turned toward Rebecca (my roommate on the trip) and asked “Does your friend not understand Spanish?” I replied for her and said “Entiendo, solo soy timida.” I don’t know which party was more embarrassed.

To celebrate the end of class, we jumped off a mountain the following day. Then rode horses through the mountains. Then road bikes to wine vineyards.

And I didn’t have to pinch myself to believe it. My sore muscles and full camera memory card told me this is indeed real life. WOW.


Adventure 1: Rappelling

While standing on top of a mountain, helmet buckled and rappelling stirrups strapped, I looked down and thought “Whatever happened to get me to this point is totally crazy and totally amazing.”

We got to the rappel launch point after a three-hour off roading adventure. Certainly an experience you can’t tell your mom about until after the fact. In a 4X4 that would make the best Ford ad, we ascended the mountains through the clouds and along the cliff’s edge. We went above the clouds and emerged to an indescribable view of the Andes.

Rappelling was the scariest, but coolest thing I have ever done. The rush upon landing was surely a greater high than any substance could produce. We hiked up the mountain, were instructed in Spanish, and handed two ropes before we launched into the descent. Lean back, feet apart, steadily place one foot behind the other. SUCCESS. We were smiling for hours.

Adventure 2: Horseback Riding

A Kansas girl, I was teased by the group who said I had returned to my natural state. Indeed, I felt one with nature. Never have I experienced such expansive beauty, let along from the viewpoint of a horse. Mountains topped with snow to my right, wild horses and cottages to my left, expansive pampas ahead.

My horse Carrdo was chipper and loved to trot ahead of the group. He and I traversed creek, went through tall brush, ascended a mountain, and made friends with the other horses and dog following us. He did not join me, however, for my steak lunch, cooked over open fire. Now I understand why Argentina is famous for its steaks.

Adventure 3: Bikeriding Through Bodegas

Mounting a bike after a day of mounting a horse was a little rough. But the wine took off the edge. We rode through scenic country roads, and not so scenic roads (as we felt the whoosh of cars zooming by – another thing you don’t write home about until after the fact) to two bodegas. We met the wine maker, who gave us a tour and sampling of his best wines. In addition to its steaks, I also now understand why Argentina is famous for Malbec. We learned about the delicate and long process of wine making. The tour was in Spanish, and we had an ah-ha moment when we realized we were totally comprehending what was said to us. To reenergize, we feasted on more ham, cheese, chicken, and bread. Mendoza is paradise indeed.


With un besito, we bid our host mothers goodbye and boarded the ANDESMAR overnight bus back home. I’m back in Buenos Aires now, getting resettled and thrown back into the crazy. More updates about what I’ve been up to in BA to come!

1 comment:

  1. AMAZING. THAT IS ALL I can say. All ur adventures sound great and I can wait for you to return so we can speako espanol!

    ReplyDelete